Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater 12 GA



Long story short, I had a great shotgun back in the 90's and have been looking for a replacement ever since.  I still miss my Beretta 1201FP and regret selling it more than any other compromise I have ever made.  It was a super smooth autoloader that held seven rounds and had the same action as the much more expensive Benelli.  It was mostly designed for police/defensive purposes but I enjoyed knocking clays out of the air with it, much to the chagrin of the other more traditional clay shooters at the old French Creek state park free range.  When I sold all of my guns back in 95, the only one I kept was a Ruger MKII .22 target pistol.  I never really liked it as it was frequently unreliable and ended up trading it for a super cheap Traditions Home Defense Autoloader 12GA.  I kept that gun for years as a EOTW gun but concerns with reliability with all ammo types made me want to get a pump gun.  It came down to the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 590A1.  Both have great reputations but I chose the Mossberg because it just is truly mil-spec, tough as nails and has a higher capacity (9 rounds).  Yeah, it's heavy but when you wield it, it feels like something you want in your hands in a EOTW situation.  The Remington feels like a toy by comparison.  I got a ATI shell caddy, UTG LED and a Viking Tactics sling mount and hope to take the Magpul Dynamics shotgun class seen in the video below.  The DVD set is awesome and is again, required viewing if you ever plan on using a shotgun in a defensive situation.  In the meantime, I'll be using the Mossberg in 3 gun and hoping the Zombies hold off for another year ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment