Friday, October 7, 2011

My Ruger SR1911


How could I NOT get a 1911 on the 100 year anniversary of this famous workhorse of a pistol?  I have been on the lookout for a modern styled 1911 for the last few months and the main reason I didn't pick one up was the cost.  I was hesitant to get some of the cheaper, foreign made versions and was also not too thrilled with the idea of spending multiple thousands for a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.  When I saw this Ruger in the case for $699, I had to find out more about it.  Here is what i found:


"The single-action .45 Auto Ruger SR1911 features a bead-blasted stainless steel frame and slide, precision CNC machined for a precise slide-to-frame fit. The stainless steel barrel and bushing are produced simultaneously, from the same ordnance-grade barstock, for a precise fit and improved accuracy. The slide features rear cocking serrations and a dovetailed three-dot sight system with a Novak® rear sight and standard front sight. The Ruger SR1911 pistol features a titanium firing pin and heavy firing pin spring, which negates the need for a firing pin block, offering an updated safety feature to the original "Series 70" design without compromising trigger pull weight. An extended thumb safety offers improved manipulation and an oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability. A visual inspection port offers visual confirmation of a round in the chamber.

Positive extraction is facilitated by an improved internal extractor. The plunger tube for both the slide stop and thumb safety is integral to the frame and will never shoot loose. The swedged link pin also will not shoot loose. The SR1911 uses a skeletonized hammer and an aluminum, skeletonized trigger with an adjustable over-travel stop. The Ruger SR1911 features a standard recoil guide system and flat mainspring housing."

I shot a three inch group first time right out of the box at 10 yards.  I think I am going to be a big fan moving forward.  I have some 8 round Wilson Combat mags and some sweet micarta grips on the way so updated pics are coming soon.  Holster and mag carriers are next on the list...



No comments:

Post a Comment